Checklist for School Inhaler Implementation
Below is a list of steps required to implement the School Inhaler Program.
Step 1 - Enroll school in program (enrollment doesn't commit you to being in the program but it does provide us with your information so we can assist you - School Enrollment
Step 2 - Obtain approval to implement the program from your school district.
Step 3 - Determine your school district's medical director.
Step 4 - Designate two personnel at your school to complete online training curriculum and be designated/certified to administer. These personnel will also be responsible for completing forms and maintaining records onsite. School Staff Training Form
Step 5 - Complete training. Online Training Curriculum Instructions
Step 6 - Download forms (all forms listed below)
- R7-2-810 Emergency Administration of Inhalers
- Stock Albuterol Inhaler Protocol & Action Plan
- School Staff Training Form & Checklist
- Online Training Curriculum Instructions
- Stock Albuterol Documentation Log
- Standing Medical Order Template
- Prescription Template Form
- Template Letter for Parents from Schools (English)
- Template Letter for Parents from Schools (Spanish)
Step 7 - Obtain Standing Medical Order from Medical Director. Standing Medical Order Template Form
Step 8 - Obtain prescription for inhalers and spacers - schools should not accept donated inhalers or spacers but may accept cash donations to purchase. Prescription Template Form
Step 9 - Fill prescriptions and store in secure location that is accessible by trained school staff member.